The Weatherization Technician I class is designed to provide weatherization technicians the basic weatherization skills to install materials for a weatherization retrofit in accordance with the Washington State Department of Commerce Weatherization Specifications and Department of Energy Workforce Guidelines for Home Energy Upgrades. A weatherization retrofit is the installation of energy saving measures such as insulation and air sealing in an existing home. The retrofit work often takes place in confined spaces such as attics and crawlspaces. Attendees should dress in clothes appropriate for weatherization work and bring respirators fitted with acid vapor cartridges. We will be working with insulation and foam.
- The proper methods for insulation damming in attics for access panels and doors.
- The proper methods for insulation damming in attics for heat producing fixtures.
- Installation of insulation and weather-stripping for attic access panels and doors.
- Installation of one and two part foam to air seal a recessed light, a metal or masonry chimney, a dropped soffit, an open wall plate and typical plumbing, electrical ,and heating penetrations.
- Cutting in a roof vent for high attic ventilation or an exhaust fan.
- Installation of ducting for an exhaust fan in an attic space.
- Learn to properly install and support dryer exhaust ducting in a crawlspace.
- Properly fit and support insulation bats in a floor over a crawlspace.
- Properly fit and support pipe insulation on pipes in a crawlspace.
- Properly fit and support a Water heater insulation wrap on an electric and gas fired water heater.
- Properly fit and support insulation on ductwork in a crawlspace or attic.
- Proper installation of duct mastic on ducts in a crawlspace or attic.
- Installation of a door weather-strip and threshold.
Materials: pen, paper, safety gear (respirators fitted with acid vapor cartridges), and appropriate weatherization work clothes are required.
BPI CEUs: 12
Cost: $825 (General Public); $412.50 (Contractors Associated with a WA State Wx Agency); $0 (WA State Wx Agency Staff)
Instructor: varies - see scheduled courses
Location: varies - see scheduled courses
Registration URL: Event Link
Date: Jul 19 2011
End Date: Oct 27 2011