This workshop starts with the concepts of testing homes for air leakage using pressure. The use of a blower door for testing house tightness will be reviewed. Participants will learn techniques for proper equipment set up of the house for a single point test. Participants will learn to use the blower door as a tool to determine location of the air barrier and direct draft proofing of the house.
- Understand principles of air movement and how they relate to building heat loss.
- Understand the energy cost of air leakage in residential buildings.
- Be able to define the pressure boundary and how to align it with the thermal boundary for maximum building performance.
- Learn the various housing types common to your area, typical air leakage problems, and critical junction points associated with the construction.
- Learn air-sealing techniques and appropriate materials to be used to seal a variety of chase-ways and by-passes: plumbing, chimneys, lights, knee walls etc.
- Understand the causes and remedies for existing and potential moisture problems associated with air leakage.
- Causes of and remedies for other existing and potential indoor air quality problems: pollutants, pathways, and driving force.
- Be able to measure the dimensions of floors, walls, and ceilings to compute surface areas.
- Be able to compute the volume of conditioned space.
- Be able to determine Minimum ventilation level (MVL) or Building tightness limit (BTL) and Building Air flow standard (BAS) in accordance with ASHRAE 62.89 and 62.2 standards.
- Become familiar with both Energy Conservatory and Retrotec air-leakage testing equipment.
- Understand how to meet the requirements of Washington State Energy Code section 502.4.5 that requires air leakage testing for all new houses.
- Blower door set-up and single-point test
- Basic Zone pressure diagnostics to determine location and effectiveness of the air barrier.
Materials: wear appropriate clothing AND your own safety gear for hands-on training
BPI CEUs: 4
Cost: $550 (General Public); $275 (Contractors Associated with a WA State Wx Agency); $0 (WA State Wx Agency Staff)
Instructor: varies - see scheduled courses
Location: varies - see scheduled courses
Registration URL: Event Link
Date: Aug 23 2011
End Date: Aug 10 2011