Building on the growing movement toward including health as a key consideration for any improvements to homes, several government agencies released a new vision for healthy housing in February, 2013.
HUD, EPA, the White House Council on Environmental Quality, the Surgeon General, and the DOE jointly announced their The “Advancing Healthy Housing – A Strategy for Action”. The strategy can be summarized with the five following goals:
1) Establish healthy homes recommendations
2) Encourage adoption of healthy homes recommendations
3) Create and support training and workforce development to address health hazards in housing
4) Educate the public about healthy homes
5) Support research that informs and advances healthy housing in a cost-effective manner
More details about these goals can be found on the HUD website.