Lead Paint

lead paint

Lead poisoning from lead paint is one of the most serious health threats for children in and around the home. In children, lead is most damaging when they are six years old and younger. Problems associated with ingestion of lead paint dust by young children include:

  • learning disabilities
  • attention deficit disorders
  • behavior issues
  • nervous system damage
  • speech and language impairment

Any home built prior to 1978 may have painted surfaces containing lead-based paint. If you own or are purchasing an older home it is important to know whether lead paint is present and where. When in good condition and well maintained lead painted surfaces are not considered hazardous. However, areas where paint is damaged, or those surfaces exposed to friction or movement (such as sliding windows and doors), or impact surfaces (floors, cabinet doors)) are areas that create special hazards with lead-based paint. BPC provides three levels of lead paint testing:

A Lead Paint Inspection is a comprehensive, top down review of your home, including every surface. This is especially important for remodeling projects (so you will be informed about what areas need special care as you complete the work).

A Lead Paint Risk Assessment determines if lead paint risks are present in the home. Potential sources of lead include friction and impact surfaces, deteriorated paint, soil, and dust.

A Lead-Hazard Screen involves sampling paint and dust for lead. It is less comprehensive than a lead paint risk assessment.

If you think you or a member of your family may be suffering health effects caused by lead paint, please contact your general physician to find out if you are at risk.